Friday, August 20, 2010

iPhone TIPS & TRICKS

iPhone TIPS & TRICKS


iPhone TIPS: My iPhone 3G Runs Faster on iOS 4.0.2 and Exchange Push

Posted: 19 Aug 2010 02:30 PM PDT

 - by iPhone-tips-tricks.com - About a hour ago, I have upgraded my iPhone 3G from iOS 4.0.1 to iOS 4.0.2. The first impressions are very positive. Why? Because my sluggish iPhone 3G seems to run faster and smoother than on iOS 4.0.1 and iOS 4.0. Don't expect the speed of a iPhone 4 or iPad. However, the speed is very comparable with iOS 3.1.x or iOS 2.2 on a iPhone 2G. What is improved? Well, first of all Safari opens faster. And when I tap on the search bar, my keyboard pops-up nearly instantly. Also when I type on my keyboard, the keyboard responses very smooth. No more keyboard freeze. When I close Safari by hitting the Home button, Safari closes instantly. Screen rotation is also much smoother, for example the Photos app runs better than iOS 4.0 and 4.0.1. In general, all apps are starting faster and provides me the feeling that my good old iPhone 3G is usable again. Note: I kept my my spotlight active for Applications and Contacts. By switching this spotlight off, it should improve the performance too [see older post]. I have to confess that I had experienced speed improvement too by using Exchange in stead of IMAP on my gmail mail accounts. Since last year, Gmail accounts supports MS Exchange / Active sync push mail. However iPhone iOS 2.x and 3.x only supports a maximum of 1 MS Exchange push account. Because I am using multiple Gmail accounts, I had to use IMAP, because you can add multiple of them on iOS 2.x and 3.x. However, the new iOS 4.x now supports multiple MS Exchange accounts so I swap them to use Exchange push. And It looks like it save me some CPU cycles and should consume less battery. And the most important thing i have noticed, my good old iPhone 3G seems to act faster without the IMAP accounts. I need to tell you that I disabled "fetching" every 15 minutes because "push" will notify you near realtime! Please share your ideas about this subject and leave a comment. thanks.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment